December can be a very stressful time of year with holiday shopping, parties and final exams weighing on your mind (just to name a few). Here are a five stress-busting tips to help calm your nerves and recharge so you can start 2017 off right.
- Sleep. Getting enough sleep is important for your body to recharge – 8 hours are recommended. Turn off your laptop, cell phone and television, and grab a book to help calm your mind before you settle in to sleep. If there are things on your mind preventing you from falling asleep, try to write it all down so you can tackle the list in the morning.
- Exercise. Working out regularly is a great way to relieve stress by increasing the endorphins in your body that make you feel good! Not only is exercise good for your physical being, but it also puts you in a better mood, increases your water intake and helps you fall asleep at night. Can’t make it to the gym? Take your dog for a walk around your neighborhood, take the stairs instead of the elevator, and do a few extra laps around the mall when your shopping!
- Hydrate. Drinking water increases energy, relieves fatigue, flushes out toxins, and boosts your immune system. All of these positive effects will make you feel physically better.
- Aromatherapy. Research shows that aromatherapy can help relieve stress. There are certain scents, like lavender, geranium and chamomile, that are shown to have a calming effect, reduce levels of anxiety and have antidepressant properties when you smell them. Dab an essential oil to your wrists, use a scented body wash or lotion, and/or grab an air freshener or candle for your room.
- Be kind to yourself. You are your own worst enemy and biggest critic. Replace your negative thoughts with positive thoughts and remind yourself every day that you are doing your best!
Finish off 2016 on a high note is key to becoming a happier, healthier you in 2017!